Sunday, October 4, 2009

conference weekend- backwards edition

Even though it ended in tears we had a fabulous conference weekend. As I type- these guys are finishing it up with a Clue tournament- riveting!
I've been such a slacker blogging lately that I completely forgot how to upload photos in the right order!?
So this post is going to be backwards.

Tonight Brett ran out to rescue Trent in the rain. Trent was out sobbing after college bound Jack left for his dorm room tonight. He was so sad to see him go that he couldn't bring himself to come inside. They decided to take a picture to send him.

Jack being a busy teen- who doesn't even live at home- doesn't have a lot of time for Trent.
Trent worships Jack. It's hard being the youngest in a large family. heck- it's just hard being the youngest, but somebody has to do it. This past week Trent has been unsuccessful in trying to talk me into adopting a baby so he can be a big brother. I told him -I'm too old- I'm going to be a grandma soon. Somebody has to be the youngest- sorry bud.

The Boys
Just before the tears.

They all helped run out his fresh laundry & confiscated groceries in the rain.

It's been raining buckets all day & all last night.
In fact there was a huge storm, we lost some tree limbs & I didn't sleep at all with all the wind!

Trent started out helping Jack with no shoes or jacket...
Being the youngest does has it's benefits. I would never have let the older kids run out in the rain.

Last night - us girls & Trent went to the fabric store & yogurt place while the big boys went to the Priesthood session of conference. Notice Brittany is here? I'll get to that soon.

After getting yogurt Trent ran over & saved us a place- nice.
We had gone to the fabric store just before & it was PACKED. I didn't take any photos because I wanted to get the heck outta there. This place was pretty crazy too. I guess it was a hot Saturday night to be out?

Saturday afternoon session Marcus & Brittany drove up from Provo to stay the night & watch conference with us. We were so happy to have the company & Bronco was thrilled to have Marcus here to give him some love. Marcus was continually stalked by his new best friend.

Saturday morning we were THRILLED BEYOND THRILLED at the announcement that a new temple will be built near where the missionary is serving in Chile! I almost cried as I could imagine him crying tears of joy when this announcement was made.

Dad & Trent immediately got on the computer to track the distance. From Osorno it's about 25o miles to Concepcion, Chile. What a thrill for the people of southern Chile to have a temple so much closer to them.

The girls started out conference taking notes- they are so sweet. We played our new favorite game- which will remain nameless because I have bought it for everyone I know as a Christmas gift- and I worked on needle work, help trent with homework & cooked yummy food. I am so happy to say I only slept through one talk! A first for me. I think my favorite talk... was maybe... Elder Uchdorff, Elder Oaks, gee that's a hard one?

Jack was wiped out tired & caught up on some much needed sleep, even though he tried really hard to stay awake. He got home at 3:30 AM. He had decided to come home so that he would be here for the beginning of conference - Zach, his roommate & he left later than planned & when he got here he realized his key wouldn't open the deadbolt on the front door- we weren't expecting him. He tried to get in, then looked through the living room window to see Bronco in full on attack stance staring back at him- crazy barking ensued. Brett ran down stairs & let the dogs out- then from my bed I could hear a quiet knocking at the front door & knew immediately- jack was home. We all met in the kitchen- and visited for a while. I made him a taco- heck- doesn't everyone eat tacos at 3:30 AM? & it was so nice to have him here. Trent of course woke up & I went back to bed.
The hot new spot in the house is Brian & Jack's basement room. I spent most of the day Friday cleaning it out & setting it up for the missionary to return home next month. There is a T.V. & the kids loved having a place to hang out & watch movies this weekend. I cleaned out the closets, under the beds, behind the dressers, etc. I won't lie- I was thinking about slapping them both upside the head... it was a disaster. But it's all done now & I am glad to have it done a little early so that I don't worry about it anymore!
I realized tonight it's just over two weeks that I leave for the baby's birth & just a month 1/2 until he is home. Shoot - I've gotta lot to do.
*did you watch General Conference?
*do you have a favorite talk?

8 comments:

Karrie said...

I hope Jack reads this and knows how much Trent love him...that pic in the rain is so so sad!

Sounds like a fun weekend!

She Loves To Make said...

What a fun weekend! I wish we could have been there!
So Trent wants you to adopt a baby? I started laughing when I read that. Poor guy...it must be hard being the youngest. I love the picture of Dad and Trent under the umbrella & the one of the boys.
Conference was great. I was trying to pick a favorite talk as well but I thought they were all so good. I really loved Elder Oaks, Elder Holland and Pres. Monson's talk--I loved hearing about all the little acts of service people did for his birthday.

Jill said...

Poor Trent, it is just too sad to think about him standing out in the rain crying while Jack drives away!

I simply must know what your new favorite game is, will you email the info to me? I won't tell anyone.

You're so nice to make Jack a taco at 3:30am!

I feel like smacking my kids (mostly Whitney though) every time I clean the garage or their room. It's a good thing I tend to do those jobs while they're at school.

Beth said...

It is rotten being the youngest sometimes! You get blamed for everything lost stolen or comes up missing, and most everything that goes wrong, everyone leaves you behind and then when your older they remind you of how you were spoiled the most... I feel for ya Trent!!

Conference was awesome! I wish we could have been with you guys, we have great memories of past fun! I thought about what amazing food you might have to munch on; while Jacob kept asking "are we just fining for ourselves all weekend?". I finally got up and made some potato soup, it was yummy since we are in the rain here too.

Cool to see Marcus and Brittany there though. I loved the announcement of the new Temple in Chile too... but we had no idea how close it was to the missionary.

The pics are awesome... I haven't taken any for so long... I am in a rut and don't want to blog about it.

crystal said...

That moment out in the rain made my heart hurt. :(

Holly said...

So glad y'all had such a cozy conference weekend at home. Poor Trent standing out in the rain saying goodbye to his big bro!! That one hurt.

Congrats on tackling that major cleaning job!

Kristy said...

Poor Trent he is always the one to get left behind.

I still need to watch conference this week and now I am excited to watch it and see what I missed.

I am glad you got the basement cleaned out. I have 2 bedrooms upstairs that belong to 2 males in my house that are close to the same condition. I hope if I ignore them they will go away!

michelle said...

I'm the oldest, but I do feel for the youngest. It's got to be hard to be left behind, figuratively and literally. Poor Trent, crying in the rain!

I'm missing Conference weekend even more now after seeing your photos and thinking about the cozy togetherness we always have then... sniff.

And I love that you knew right away that Jack was home and got up and made him a taco!