Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My front yard- the garbage heap

The weather has just been Fabulous here lately!!
REally warm & spring like. Cruel really, when you consider we have a bit of winter to go. This morning I went to take the dogs for a walk & brought my camera along. Brett was leaving for work & said- "You're taking your camera? Great!"- I think he is happy to know I am pulling out of the slumpy winter blues I have been in. It didn't dawn on me until later, that it is nearly impossible to take pictures while walking TWo dogs- Especially these two crazies.
I am trying to teach Bronco to heel (he is learning surprisingly fast) & reteach Max. Max has forgotten all walking manners with the addition of the young pup. I managed a photo which shows exactly the crazy behavior I am trying to avoid.
Now that the weather has brightened a bit & I am out walking -
Everyone in the neighborhood is finding out about our new pup too. I have had a couple of people say- "you have two dogs?" with this look of shock & surprise-
like they are thinking...
you seem like such a normal person at church & around the community?
I always find myself saying--"it's not me- really- brett is such a dog lover. I have no choice. It's him- I just go along with it... I really have no choice..."
I sound like an idiot.
I came home & looked around the yard with absolute shock & surprise of my own.
Our house faces north, so the front yard rarely sees sun. The snow takes forever to melt on our side of the street. You won't believe what the blanket of snow was covering!trent's blue sled...

multiple pieces of wood from trent's projects...

trent's plastic snow board...

trent's mini skateboard...

two shovels...

and a Christmas tree-
okay, okay- the Christmas tree- we knew it was there on the side of the house.
It's from jack & his hooligan friend's treeing escapades.
Every year the teens in our house "pick up" (steal is more like it - not that anybody cares) old Christmas trees off of people's curbs around town & then "tree" someone? "treeing" is when your doorbell rings, you go to the front door, no one is there... except for a dozen old Christmas trees. this tree got left behind & jack has promised to get rid of it for a month. For some reason the teens (jack & brian's friends) think this is absolutely hilarious. There have honestly been times when the boys & their friends have picked up trees all over town & we've had dozens in our back yard hiding until dark- when they mysteriously appear on some one's doorstep. In one night those trees have been known to visit several unsuspecting people. Family after family get treed on one night. All the same trees. The whole process is about shock value. Once you've been treed & your dad gets all ticked off - they take them to another door step.
don't panic- it's all in good fun- at the end of the "treeing" season they drop them off at the dump to be made into mulch.
All I can say tonight is
It's a good thing tomorrow is TRASh day!
holy moly
this is down right embarrassing
-It's a good think I went out & noticed all this mess-


*have you ever found anything out in the yard after the snow melts?

*have you ever put a Christmas tree on the curb- then wondered where it went?

You can thank me later

10 comments:

wende said...

once while shovelling the snow, the boys found easter eggs on three different occasions. does that count? what's funny is that egg hunting isn't as big of a deal to them on easter, but they were sure excited about those dumb plastic eggs in the middle of winter.

i love that trent has all those treasures hidden in the snow. when it melts, it's like christmas morning! - hey, complete with the tree! :)

John and Misty said...

That's great! Yes, we found one of Bryce's golf balls today and "remembered" the pile of old carpet and pad we dumped on the side of the driveway. Guess we'll have to take care of that now...

shannon said...

It's so funny that you're posting about finding a bunch of junk in your yard...my mom just wrote the exact same thing this morning...
Snow gives the illusion of a clean blanket covering everything...

I've never heard of "treeing"--
How clever!
We used to go "corning"--where you strip off the kernals of old field corn and whip it at cars as they drove by...crazy! Sometimes, these rednecky guys would turn on their "deer spotlights" and start driving towards us...

What nuts we were!

She Loves The Color Pink said...

That's so funny about all of trent's stuff hidden under the snow!

Jill said...

I recently found the pirate hat the kids had used on their December snowman in our yard now that the snow is entirely gone (we face South).

That's a cute self-portrait of you.

Karolynn said...

The tree about killed me! LOL!! Carter found an old toy in the back yard. He brought it in wanting me to clean it for him. I just threw it in the trash when he wasn't looking. It was really nasty.

Beth said...

BE CAREFUL! Walking two dogs, explaining to neighbors, while taking pictures... sounds like a broken ankle just waiting to happen.

Your self portrait is great!!! and your hair looks fabulous!!!!

Janae said...

Great post! I am a little nervous that you have confessed the tree thing to all;)
I see there is a definite Trent theme with the things found:)
We have definitely found our fair share of interesting things in our yard too!

Karrie said...

I'm afraid we might find a dead body or something in our yard....there is so much crap back there. I'm in denial about yardwork....so I'm praying for more snow.

michelle said...

I have found a few things around since the snow melted... toys and such in addition to all the dead plants that I didn't take care of in the Fall. It's the only thing I don't like about this warmer weather!

I'm cracking up about the comment about a broken ankle waiting to happen. Be careful.