Wednesday, February 18, 2009

crazy

It's been a couple of crazy days around here.
Last night was the annual cub scout Blue & Gold banquet.
My in-laws drove in from out of town about 5 minutes before we were to head out the door & set up. It was a crazy whirlwind of dogs barking, uniforms being thrown on & copies being printed out at the last second... as they walked in the door. Oh well- that's life.My boys & I were in charge of a couple of games. We had an opener, plus a group activity - trent is handing it out the opening game here at the door. Everyone was trying to name all 50 states. Hard to do... but not for these guys. I wish I would've taken some pictures of trent here in his uniform with his grandparents!? What was I thinking? I guess it was all the commotion.
(Grandma & Grandpa had driven all day- they are here to visit for a couple of days. We were getting pounded with snow- 8 inches. Luckily the snow was coming from the south so they missed most of it until the got with in an hour of our house. I was nervous all day knowing they were on the roads...)
These dinners are not reverent type, fancy affairs.OH NO... after the prayer the boys hit the food like a pack of hungry beasts. I tell you what- my two semesters as a REcreation major at BYU- before I dropped out are really paying off ;)I was also was assigned to bring a plate of cookies but thought mini cupcakes would be cuter & so easy to make- I was right about the cuter part. One cake mix makes 3 1/2 pans of mini cupcakes. There are 24 to a pan so that means 3.5x24= 84!! I was thrilled to have so many, but then it took a while to decorate them. I had some white dipping chocolate leftover from Christmas, melted it & dipped each cupcake in it, then placed an m & m on top. They were really easy & so darn cute! I stuck them in the cold garage until the chocolate set up & they were great. NO messy, sticky frosting and that little bit of crunch from the candy coated top- YUM! If you make them plan a little more time that you think- not because it's tricky--- there are just so many of them! Tonight Grandma saved the day!
Trent had an assignment to decorate a plain paper doll into a Native American for a special Native American program next week in school. I normally love art type projects, but an art project with Trent is over the top difficult. He really doesn't want to participate. Grandma used to be a kindergarten teacher & is all over this kind of stuff. He didn't give her the hassle he would've given me... HURRay for Grandma!
with some help from Chloe & every art supply we could dig up from around the house...

Mission accomplished!
I cannot tell you how happy I am that this project is done.
Brett & I had a meeting at the Jr. High for Hailey's musical theater class, Jack was running off from rugby practice to help with an Eagle project & it was youth night at church- oh my.
(I didn't realize this paper doll was fuzzy- If I get around to it I will post a better picture of it tomorrow.)

It's been a busy two days...
I'm heading off to bed!

8 comments:

Janae said...

Sounds like one of those go and don't stop days! I love your mini cupcakes...super cute:)
Yea for Grandma helping with the art project. So glad they traveled here safely and didn't have too much weather.

Jill said...

Your cupcakes turned out so cute! Our Blue and Gold Banquet is tonight (ugh) and I have to go help decorate for it this morning (double ugh). But Whitney is home sick again today so perhaps I'll need to stay home with her tonight (what's a mother to do?). We also have the Scout Banquet next Tuesday! What a cruel twist of fate to have two scout dinners within 5 days of each other.

Kristy said...

Your cupcakes turned out so cute!! We made Jake's Indian last night...I will blog about it one day, I am so far behind on my blog!

I am glad your in-laws made it safely!

wende said...

the cupcakes are so darling! and yay for grandma savng the day - and OH CRAP, i totally spaced that dang meeting for musical theater. shoot. you'll have to fill me in on the details. good luck on your especially busy day today!

Beth said...

The cupcakes look like cookie monster eye balls! So cute!!!

Aren't grandparents such a blessing! Glad they made it safe.

Fun pictures making the native american paper doll... love it!

Thanks for the blog update... even your on the run posts are wonderful!!

Hugs,

shannon said...

Great job on the cupcakes...

I should be taking notes about all of the Blue and Gold banquet details...I'm not quite there yet with Jake.

I'm impressed that you had time to write a post with all that you've had going on...having company in town always throws me for a loop. It sounds like your in laws are helpful--you're lucky...

Karrie said...

What good timing to have Grandma there to do the homework...very lucy!

michelle said...

Your cupcakes look SO cute!! Simple and adorable.

Grandmas have a way of saving the day, don't they? I hope I'm a grandma like that.