Sunday, July 3, 2011

4th of July Weekend!

If you know me... or have read this blog for any amount of time... you've gotta know how much I Love Independence DaY!It is truly my favorite time of the year. This year my town opted to celebrate our traditional small town activities on the 1st & 2nd- to keep things consecutive. This being God fearing country- we don't not have parades & such on Sundays. There is a patriotic program tonight- but we didn't request tickets in time & they are all gone. I have to admit, I miss my kids who cannot be here terribly this time of the year. I hope & pray to have them all here next year! Oh how I love to have my family all together this time of year.


It was a glorious time- I loved every second.

Marcus, Brittany & Johnny were here!


Look- Proof- Johnny is a RED HEAD!!

WOO HOo!! WE of course love the red heads at our house. I have considered offering a cash reward for the first red head grandchild- but Brett says NO to that. I should explain... that I like to offer cash rewards a lot.Is he CUTE or what!!?

Love the outfitthis is Laura's first year at the concert. We were so happy to have her & Brian with us. We eat the same foods- Fried Chicken, Pasta salad w/shrimp, fruit salad & sodas- every year. The pasta salad is a huge hit & I only make it for the 4th. I don't know why- but it's just for the 4th- and that makes it highly anticipated & extra special.







There was a children's parade, magic show, concert (great band by the way),




and of course...

FireWorks!





{lame firework pictures this year}

The fireworks are timed to patriotic music- my heart swells & my eyes fill with tears. Oh how I love this great land!
Friday night we stayed up too late- and Saturday morning we were up bright & early. Trent & Ethan ran in the kids race- Trent came in dead last, but it doesn't matter where you finished just that you finished! WAY to go TREnT! He was so excited & thrilled to run, got a little lost (it was only a mile?) but made it! He was so excited to get a ribbon & two coupons for WEndy's frosties!

Ethan stayed & came to the parade with us. The parade was GREAT- I love a small town parade. I remember when we first moved to our town. I asked one of the neighbors if the parade was crowded & if we should get there early? She told me it was packed- set out your chairs the night before! REmember, I am from Seattle, I was thinking--thousands of people packed? Umm- NO. It's just perfect.



















Somehow I went the whole time without getting a picture of Brittany? She was here- I don't know how I missed you- sorry Brit!



maybe we were just smitten with this fella?



My favorite part of the parade this year- the Centerville Stake Float- the modest Ms. Utah, the Samoan band- they come every year & they are AwesoME- but most of all the Veterans. There were at least a dozen veterans or more. Many of them from WWII. They were so handsome, most of them in their uniforms! What a wonderful time, a wonderful weekend to celebrate our many blessings.

If you don't have plans for the real Independence day tomorrow- I hope you'll make some. If nothing else- Fly Your Flag!

Another Independence day almost over...

honestly I can't wait until next year- when Jack will be home!
miss you megan, tony, charlie, joey & jack

7 comments:

Jill said...

I love how much you love celebrating the 4th, and I think it would be awesome if your whole family could be together for it next year!

She Loves The Color Pink said...

What a great weekend! I love that the somoan band is there every year--they are my favorite! Sad we weren't there!!!

Johnna said...

We are so sad not to have been there this year. I really can't believe it. And yes I can totally understand being smitten with Johnny, he is such a sweetie if I do say so myself. You all looked wonderful and am sitting here missing you all like crazy. Next year? Hope we can make it.....

wende said...

oh man i love the fourth! it was even more fun for me that the celebrations started early and we got to celebrate it all three day weekend long! awesome!!

the veterans in the parade get me EVERY time. i'm such a softy but my dad taught me to be a proud american and man, i just cry like a baby when those sweet vets march past.

thank you so much for having ethan all day - twice - he sure loves your family, and I DO TOO! it was great to know that he got to watch the parade while i was gone picking up the stinky trekkers. :)

michelle said...

Way cute picture of you and Brett!

I love your enthusiasm for the 4th, and I am cracking up over you only making the pasta salad once a year. Good way to keep it special!

Those are some impressive floats!

Murdlem said...

Patsy,
I am laughing my head off! I have never in my life seen a float with temples on it or one that says Centerville stake. No one where I live would even have a clue what that meant! Sooooo Utah (which is fine) Just VERY different than where I live!

Kim Sue said...

great post and I love that it is such a special time for you guys... but pasta salad only once a year?