Friday, December 31, 2010

welcome 2011

Let's be honest...
2010 wasn't what I'd call
my best year.

January:
Hailey started having what we now know is extreme anxiety... seizures...doctors visits & tests & medication. Many trips to the school to pick her up off the floor. Watching your child suffer= extreme heart ache.
Then lots of psychiatrist visits & therapy.
Then, a new therapist... it goes on.

April
Jack left for Brazil...
I know, I know... as a Mormon mother I should be ecstatic?
Yes I am happy for him- thrilled he is a worthy missionary.
Still, I'm human & my babies are growing up, leaving home & I don't like it.
Sue me.

September
Brett lost his job.
As our lawyer put it, "it wasn't illegal, but unethical."
Not nice.
Not nice at all...

On the flip side-
Hailey doesn't have a brain tumor.
she is more confident & stronger than ever.
she has grown leaps & bounds & we didn't even know she needed to?
she is becoming more talented & writing incredible music.
She is kind & empathetic to other people with problems.
She has an understanding & a "way" with people who have special needs.

Jack is very happy.
Possibly happier than any other time in his life. He has purpose. He knows who he is & who He is & loves teaching & serving. Now.... my only worry for him is- how will he ever adjust to coming home?! Thankfully that trial will wait until 2012.

Brett has a new job & in just less than 3 months-
this is truly a blessing & miracle from above.
It's a good job too!
One with great potential & he is happy.
Yes- we have learned lessons & yes we have many more lessons to learn.

Trent is doing okay in school.
There are definitely trials ahead.
I am grateful for such kind boys his age in our neighborhood. There are more than a couple who look after him. I can't even tell you how much better his life is because of this. Childhood can be so cruel. Thank you boys (some of them my former scouts) for being kind. Each one of you will be truly blessed by your efforts someday. I know Trent doesn't show it & is even rude to you at times- but he really does appreciate your friendships. I am eternally grateful & love you.

Chloe-
she is such a lady. She is also growing up... but just so lovely. she is a dear sister & loving daughter. she cleaned & organized my laundry/sewing room for me as a Christmas present. Can you think of a better gift? I cannot. Jr. High has not been her favorite experience... but who loves jr. high? This year- she will start High School! Hard to believe.

Brian (aka: lover boy) that's what we call him now that he has a girl friend. He has stopped mourning leaving his mission, as far as we know? He loves teaching the missionaries in the Missionary Training Center & receive letters from many of them on a regular basis. He is doing well in college- not just passing. He has great friends- we adore Laura- he comes home a lot. ya we like having him home.

Megan, Tony & Charlie are the frosting on my cupcake. I can't imagine them being better examples for my other children & OOOH that Charlie! He is the most darling thing I have ever laid eyes on. I am so in love with him & someday he will love his Grandma Messer. He will have a sibling this year!! Oh my joy is full.

I am thankful to my Heavenly Father for giving me trials that help me to grow.
I am grateful for a new year.

Now that I have boasted over my children...
surely one or all will do something terribly embarrassing & public.
that is what always happens when a mom gives into pride... me included.
Let's just hope it doesn't make national news...
HAPPY NEW YEAR

9 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

"Now that I have boasted over my children...surely one or all will do something terribly embarrassing & public.that is what always happens when a mom gives into pride... me included.Let's just hope it doesn't make national news..."

How very funny, Patsy. This made me laugh because we've all felt it and worried about it.

You do have great kids and I'm glad you celebrate that fact and let us know about them.

She Loves To Make said...

"The frosting on your cupcake"? That is the nicest thing I have ever been called lol. I need to write that down! This was a fun post to read! 2011 is going to be a great year.

Jill said...

It's really something to look back on a period of time (after having survived it) to be chock full of perspective like this. The flip side to all of these challenges are blessings! I need to review some of my past grievances to see how I made out!

wende said...

love this then and now perspective. my eyes are teary and my heart is full for you and it's not even my family you're writing about! although, i'm not sure i could your family any more than i already do.

happy NEW year!

michelle said...

I love this post! Especially the last paragraph. But all of it, really. Isn't it wonderful to look back on the hard times and see the good that has come out on the other side??

p.s. I love those boys who are nice to Trent. Love them.

Holly said...

You are within your motherly rights to boast about your children--but I didn't take it as prideful or bragging--just reflecting on their maturity/growth and their general awesomeness :)

Your last paragraph DID make me snort though. I wonder if anything would make our news here in TX? HA!

It's so good to take time and reflect back on changes, lessons, trials and blessings--really brings clarity.

Holly said...

Oh...and I really liked what you said about Trent's friends. That is WONDERFUL and I'm sure is such a comfort to you and a joy for him.

AND congrats about grandbaby#2 sometime in 2011. How exciting! I bet you are already planning a quilt! :)

Kim Sue said...

fabulous post. I'm taking note about trials = thanksgivings. and i too love those boys who are nice and protective of Trent. and wow, I hope one day I am the frosting on someone's cupcake!

Laura said...

I could spend HOURS reading your blog Patsy!! You are so witty and hilarious. Haha, "lover boy". Love it!!