Thursday, July 8, 2010

a fourth of july recap

I love Independence day!
Everyone who knows me...
knows- it is my very favorite holiday- by a long shot!
I love the flags flying, the patriotic music, picnics, parades & all things red, white & blue.
This year as I write this post- I can't help but wonder??
where are the photos of the flag?
I didn't take any photos of my sweetheart & me together?
dang it!!
oh well, it was a great weekend & these will have to do :)

Around 4:00 on the 2nd- my sister Johnna & BIL Clyde arrived for the weekend.


They had their daughter Aimee with them & I was so EXCIted & SURpriSed that I got all teary & nearly started to cry!!!
I hadn't seen aimee in way too long.
She's Lola's mom. (I sent her the Lola quilt a while back, if you remember?)

Marcus, Brittany, Brit & Aimmee

Ruthie's family came too.
We headed over to the concert in the park. With fried chicken, my special 4th of July shrimp salad, veggies & dip, glass bottles of soda, and these- mmmm

I have to admit- I was really missing Jack.
Missionary Jack loves the 4th... and all that goes with it. He is a history major & knows American history better than anyone I know.
BUT-- It was SO GREAT TO HAVE...

Brian with us!!!
This is his first- 4th home & it was glorious to have him here. Just think- last year I was missing him? Only one more 4th until Jack is back- (speaking of the missionary, I am working on a big Missionary Jack update to publish soon, hopefully tomorrow.)

Marcus & Brian posed for Jack

the concert was amazing.
The band made up of 15-18 year olds from around the state.
YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE they were teens!
They played big band music- a lot of michael Buble type stuff, it was fabulous.
They were so good & so talented.
Brittany & Marcus
Last year they were engaged- they celebrate their first anniversary on Sunday!

The fireworks did not dissapoint. they were specatcular - although

They usually go off to patriotic music.
NOt this year...
we were sorely dissapointed.
Actually I was pretty ticked off- Brian too.
WE had talked earlier in the day about how beautiful & emotional it is to watch fireworks while listening to America The Beautiful & the like...
they played movie show tunes? BLAH- Maybe it's a good thing Jack missed it?
Bright & EArly
on the 3rd- we were in our spot for the parade!

Trent sported his coon skin cap-
if you want one? RuN down to a gas station between here & St. George- hurrry quick!!!
(that was sarcasm)
hey-
there's some flags!

There were service men & women- love that- and great floats.
Cool cars with kids throwing candy to the audience.

and this exterminator type company with this guy in a bee suit.
I took his picture because I could just imagine Jack making fun of him...
Oh funny
I'm sure that was the "old jack" not the new & improved missionary jack?
It was perfect weather & so fun to be all together.

After the parade we headed home, then off to the park for the carnival food & quilt show.

Clyde & trent had a GREat time.
Trent spent their whole visit being Clyde's shadow. so cute.
He spent the rest of the 4th washing all of our cars.
Or should I say, putting extremely hard to get off water spots on all of our cars?
While the boys were watching a movie- the girls ran to target. When we came home trent had filled up the back of Brett's truck with water- house water-? So not cool. Brett backed up the truck & dumped it on the lawn. He had just a little too much water freedom & two old burned out parents. I guess that's what you get as the youngest of six- periods of freedom we would have never let the older kids have to get into mischief.
We went to sacrament meeting on the 4th-
what a delight
Then after lunch it was time for the gilsons to go.
dang
Brian took this lovely photo of Johnna & I.
lookin' good- or drunk?
no, we were not drinkin' after sacrament meeting.
better!
It was so GREAT to have you guys here!
we miss you

8 comments:

Amie said...

You guys are so fun. Seeing the other 4th celebrations on everyone's blogs reminds me that I let the ball drop this year. I would have been sad about the fireworks not having patriotic music as well. I love all things patriotic, even though it makes me emotional.

Jill said...

What is up with the show tunes during the fireworks? That's what happened at the balloon festival and I was so mad! Is their a conspiracy of some kind? Good Hell!

This looks like a really fun weekend. It's nice that your family goes to so many of the events and really soaks up the weekend. My disdain for crowds keeps us from doing a lot of stuff like that.

She Loves To Make said...

What a fun weekend! I'm sad we weren't there to see everyone!

Kristy said...

Looks like you had a fun busy 4th of July this year!!! I am stealing a copy of the picture of the float Emily was on.....mine turned out blurry!

I love the 4th too but this year it was a little too much.....4 days of celebrating!

wende said...

the fourth is my favorite holiday too. i have this moment every year that catches me off guard, usually during the fireworks where i get so choked up - love this country. love everything red white and blue, and seriously, when the military people march by, i bawl like a baby. it's embarrassing. or endearing, you be the judge.

Janae said...

This is a great post...it makes me want to get my 4th pictures posted...maybe soon? I can tell you were missing cute Jack, so glad you did have cute Brian home to help you celebrate! Looks like a great 4th with family:)

Beth said...

What a great weekend... so fun to see the pictures. We miss you guys! Hugs, Hugs!!

michelle said...

The best 4th I ever had was in Philadelphia, a huge fireworks display with a live orchestra playing patriotic music. I was so emotional! I don't blame you for being bummed about the music. I do love the way you guys celebrate.