Monday, July 5, 2010

because the first grand child can never have too many quilts!

Last week I sent this little quilt off to Charlie.
I pieced it together then gave it to my machine quilting neighbor to finish.
She did a fantastic job!
I have named it
Happy Camper
I think that's what the fabric is called?
I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this fabric.
I bought extra for Owen.
I love it- love it- love it.
Megan & Tony love to camp & I know Charlie will too.
Camping & girl's camp are some of my favorite memories growing up.
I wanted to marry a man who loved to go camping & loved the out of doors and-
I did!
I always knew I would be a "camping" type of mom...
but alas-
I. am. not.
Brett was the scout master for nearly 8 years & spent so much time with the boys camping & teaching them all the skills to do so.
BUT
I have learned that camping as the mom & camping as the kid are very different things. Unfortunately for my kids (especially the girls)- we don't go enough.
Of course, camping in Washington state- where I grew up- I was just plain, spoiled!
Washington state has the best camp grounds with all the important stuff -
beautiful views, marked trails, gorgeous lakes and canoes to rent.
Most importantly there were-
great bathrooms
with showers,
mirrors with plug ins near by,
and
flush toilets.
Those were the good ol' days.

I think vintage type, children's prints are my very favorite fabrics.
I wish I had some Dick & Jane fabric.
I need to search for some.
It's so sweet & reminds me of the readers I used to learn to read with, even though they were not that old...
***
*do you like to camp?
*do you know of any great places to go in Utah?

10 comments:

Kristy said...

So cute!!!! It almost(notice the almost) makes me want another baby just to have cute quilts!

She Loves To Make said...

I never took a picture of Charlie with the quilt! I need to take one and send it to you. I will do that!
This quilt is soooo quilt! I love it!

Jill said...

Wow, another great quilt to add to your portfolio! Charlie is a lucky baby.

I didn't grow up camping at all because my dad is anti-camping. But I really love being out in nature, so I enjoy it when it happens, but it doesn't happen very often.

Beth said...

I agree, camping as a kid is very different than camping as an adult.

I was really spoiled with Washington State parks too... I am having a hard time getting used to watching for rattlesnakes in the dessert! YIKES! Kind of sucks the fun out of it for me :( But taking dogs camping helps some... they are fun to take out camping!!

Plus camp food is the best!

Beth said...

Oh yea... duh... the quilt!! Absolutely so talented... the idea, the fabric the finished look... adorable!!!

I hope you have a nice portfolio of all your georgous quilts you have made... it is a gift you share that is priceless.

wende said...

not really a camping hater OR lover - sort of in the middle. but i would agree that it doesn't sound like quite as much fun for the mother. and rich is a camping hater, so that means, we never go.

but i AM most definitely a LOVER of a) your gorgeous quilt! b) any and all vintage fabrics c) dick and jane in general even though i have no memory of learning to read by them d) that charlie baby! if i were his grandma and had your talent, i would make him a million quilts too!

love it.

Linda said...

I think that quilt is possibly the greatest quilt I have ever seen! It's just perfect for a little boy! You've certainly got talent sister!

I'm not a camper but I am an RVer! We have an RV and will be taking it to the beach this weekend. I'm spoiled though, I like all the amenities of home!

everything pink! said...

I LOVE that fabric.

i love that quilt.

I love to quilt.

I love to camp.

I love this post.

Janae said...

I can't believe you have fabric for Owen too! That is so stinkin darling! I love your talent for quilts, and love quilts...i just can't sew:/
I hate camping, and camp. doug loves it the girls love it. they go together, it's all good:)

michelle said...

I don't love camping. And you are so right - camping as the mom is VERY different from camping as a kid! Or any vacation, for that matter...

I do love your quilts!!