Wednesday, March 17, 2010

a birthday bear day with jack

Yesterday was Jack's 19th birthday...
what in the world??
these rotten kids keep growing on me...
Anyhow- we went to lunch jack, his dad & I at Apollo Burger- jack's choice.
Jack had the "Apollo" or pastrami burger & fries with root beer.
It's a good thing he's young.
Afterwards- jack & i went to build a bear to make his missionary bear.


Our time there went like this:
I would suggest something & jack would say
"You've gotta be kidding me"
or
"whoever started this store should be shot"


We picked out the closest thing we could find to a red head bear & started to work.


The hardest part was recording a phrase...
but we finally got one!
so funny
You'll have to come to my house to hear it.

The bear helper gave jack a heart & good luck shamrock
(since it was the day before St. Patrick's day) to put inside his bear.

But first...

he had to say a bunch of words-
kiss it,
wish it luck,
HOld it to his heart....

and all that good stuff- before she put it in.

He had her stuff it somewhere between to hard & to soft to make it
Just right.

Next we got him dressed.

In missionary attire!

Jack was so into it!
He was loving every moment & didn't want the time to end!!

WAH- LA

He filled out his
birth certificate & gave him a name
"Elder Jack Messer Bear"
then it was time to check out!

(bad picture... I'm really not this fat, i hope?)
Thanks for humoring me jack!
I love you
I hope someday you will be glad you made a missionary bear.
Even if your not, I'm glad you did!
When you are all married & grown your bear will sit next to brian's & your kids will love to play with them... I think?
Happy Birthday
xoxo
mom

12 comments:

Brittany Gilson said...

I can just imagine Jack's thrill during this experience. I'm excited to hear his message when we're up there this weekend.

Jill said...

This is such a great idea, I'm sure it will be comforting to Trent. It's very sweet of Jack to go along with all of this. I didn't realize they even had missionary bears!

jakenapril said...

awwww. jack is such a good sport. really. he is. i think he knows how much of a comfort it will be for trent (and, you) while he's in brazil.

p.s. i {heart} apollo burger. mmmm!

Kristy said...

Dang I didn't see the bear while I was at your house today. Jack must have hid it!!

Cute post what a fun tradition!

Marie said...

Happy Birthday Jack!! What a great post!

wende said...

thanks for the awesome laugh. i LOVE this idea - i'm so copying you when my boys leave. spencer especially will be THRILLED. not.

love that jack.

John and Misty said...

That's awesome! Love the faces Jack pulls! What a good sport. I've never been to Build-a-Bear. How much does something like a "missionary bear" cost? That is a great idea!
Misty

She Loves To Make said...

hahaha oh Jack...I think the missionary bear idea is cute. His kids will love it when they come to Grandma's--especially to hear his voice. I want to know what message he recorded!
I'm sure going to miss him.

michelle said...

I. love. this. post. Especially the photo with his hand up in the air.

He's such a good sport!

Janae said...

Happy Birthday Jack! K~ this post had me laughing so hard...Jack was cracking me up the whole time in these photos. He will be so glad to have his bear someday:)

Beth said...

I love this tradition! I was cracking up at all his expressions... then I started to cry! (what is that about??? you stop it!!!!) I love you! I can totally flash forward and see the grandkids playing with the bears... what a lovely thought!

Kim Sue said...

what a good sport and you must have to live in Utah to have the missionary bear option at Build a Bear!