Wednesday, March 16, 2011

happy birthday missionary jack... updated!

{this picture was in my inbox today! he has a birthday cake... it does a mama's heart good}
My son is a missionary
What can I say?
I could not be more proud of him & the man he has become.
He is 20- today.
20 years ago we were living in Las Vegas. My water broke. I was 23 years old & I was about to have my 3rd baby. The night before I stayed up all- night- long. I'm sure I slept bits, but I stayed up & cried. I cried & cried. I was overwhelmed & nervous & sick of being pregnant. We had lost our health insurance & we were footing the bill for the new baby ourselves- praying he would be healthy & all would be well. I knew he was special. I could feel his spirit with me that night as I lay there so unsettled. It was like he was there saying - it's okay mom. The next day he came! One week early- my two previous babies had been at least a week late.
I am stunned & amazed at how far life has come since those simpler times.
I have a prayer in my heart today.
I thank my Heavenly Father for the opportunity to be a mother. For the faith & assurance he gave me so long ago to become a mother when it took a lot of faith- we were so young & such poor college kids. I know now that we did the right thing. I think I knew then too- but hindsight is 20/20 you know?
If I could go back I wouldn't change a thing...
except loving them more.
Loving you all more.
Happy Birthday Missionary Jack
I miss you more today- but wouldn't bring you home. You would be so mad at me... I know you are safe, I know you have a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know his angels are with you. I know you are a son of God and we all our His children. I know you are doing the right thing. I am so overwhelmed when I think about you preaching on buses & streets so far away. I cannot believe well I can, how strong you are & how grown up you have become.
I love you,
mom
p.s. I have some birthday gifts for you to open when you get back... there should be two years worth... plus Christmas presents! It's going to be fun... only 378 days give or take a couple?

10 comments:

Amie said...

You make me cry. So glad I stopped by today!

Happy Birthday Jack!!!

Brit said...

Happy Birthday to Jack!

Beth said...

Happy Birthday Jack! Love you Patsy ♥

Johnna said...

Happy B-Day Jack!

Marie said...

happy happy birthday!!

Kim Sue said...

He looks happy! I know tht smile is a comfort.

Beth said...

I love the picture, he looks so happy!! Pretty sweet cake too :)

She Loves The Color Pink said...

This made me cry too. Love this post. I'm so glad he had a birthday cake on his special day. He is a special guy :)

Jill said...

This is so sweet Patsy. It's fun to read about what was going on 23 years ago when he was being born. I'm so glad he had a cake for his birthday and that he is thriving on his mission!

michelle said...

I'm always amazed when I look back to when my children were born. How wonderful that he is happy and you have a son to be so proud of!