Tuesday, January 4, 2011

real life for a working girl

At work- there is this girl
(well, she's at least my age?)
who doesn't like me.
I'm not making this up or exaggerating here.
she doesn't like me.
I'm a hard worker, I'm extremely positive, I'm nice.
I'm good at selling stuff- really I'm not bragging- I've just been successful for a new employee.
I'm not super good looking or skinny.
what the heck?
***
I know she doesn't like me because-
she rolls her eyes when I say something.
She corrects me all the time- which I'm fine with, I want to learn! But once she corrected me then explained that, "she is the manager & it's her job to correct me & I shouldn't be embarrassed." I said it's good, I'm not embarrassed- to which she replied, "well, I know you were because your faced turned red."
okay?
***
I asked her last week (she's a seasonal assistant manager, there are 4 of them) what the chances were I would stay on permanent? She was very short & said- they haven't had time to decide but that she didn't think anyone was staying on!
I was bummed.
Really bummed.
I was shocked.
I've worked so hard & it was going so well.
I'm sure she could see the disappointment on my face.
***
YEsterday I was on call.
I called in & guess who answered...? Yep.
I asked if I needed to come in-
she said no.
Then she said-
"Last week you seemed really angry. Was it something I did or said? You just seemed so mad, really furious, when you left? I hope I didn't do anything to offend you?"
I was dumb founded. I couldn't think of anything- I said- gee, I'm a pretty positive person. I don't think I was mad? She insisted I WAS MAD.
Okay?
***
Gosh darn it- am I back in jr. high?
no thank you
***
The only thing I can think of is-
She made a rude comment about my religion to another employee & I heard it. She made eye contact right after & was not happy, I could tell.
I don't care- she wasn't talking to me.
I tried to look like I didn't hear that.
She's a negative person & those kind of people don't usually like me.
***
One time another employee asked me how my missionary son was?
I told her that I had been worried about him because he has worms.
The mean girl- turned around & said- your dog has worms?
I looked her straight in the eye & said- NO My son has worms.
He's a missionary in Brazil.
The look on her face-
hahahaha

6 comments:

She Loves To Make said...

Gotta love mean girls.

Holly said...

I always wonder if men deal with situations like this, or is it only a plague for women.

Women are complex. And often mean.

I don't know why.

I'm sorry you're having to work with someone like that, but at least you are not letting it get you down. It really sounds like it's totally in her head and her issue. Hopefully your positive attitude and general goodness will rub off on her!

Gail said...

Unfortunatly, the working world is just like Jr. High. Kurt has been saying that for years.

I think there is someone like that no matter where you work. In my case it is one of the other teachers (a man) who is the always grumpy & condesending jerk. However, in my case I don't think it is just me he doesn't like. I think he just hates everybody.

Hang in there and don't let her get you down. I bet they will make you permanant with all that posative feedback you have been getting.

Beth said...

Kill her with kindness... that's what my Mom always says. Its a kind of the "keep your enemies close" theory, it usually works just to stay positive for me anyway! I bet you'll have a tender mercy that will help you understand what makes her tick. I'm sorry, I hated Jr. High too!

Jill said...

It seems like there always has to be at least one person like this in every crowd! If only they knew how awful they made things.

I hope you're not stressing about her rudeness. It sounds like you recognize the craziness going on with her. I hope you get to keep your job!

wende said...

ugh. that makes me only slightly less jealous that you have a job at williams sonoma. :)

and really, it's her loss because who doesn't LOVE you? she's the first one that i've heard of so far, and i've known you, and a lot of your neighbors, for a loooong time. :)