Saturday, January 22, 2011

a full table

Last Friday night (or was it the Friday before? Ya it was)
we had a full table of children for dinner.
It was really fun.
Meatloaf, green salad & baked sweet potato & russet potato fries.
It was delightful.
My girls have the most darling friends!

The next Saturday we had another full table to celebrate Marcus & Brittany's birthdays.
Zesty Crock pot Chicken with Leslie's Orange Salad
Tonight-
Brian & Laura were here for
Skillet Steak with Au Gratin Potatoes!

I made a goal for January - to make dinner every night!
What was I thinking?
I'll tell you what I was thinking-
I had received two new cookbooks for Christmas-
I'm working at a cooking store-
and I wanted to use my creativity in the kitchen...
I've made it- except for two days. They really almost don't count... I mean one night Trent & I got pizza at Sam's club (hardly a five star restaurant) and another day we had corn dogs & make your own. Not too bad, huh!? It's not that we go out for dinner a lot- we really don't. It's just that family dinner is so important to me & this month I have worked hard at it.
I have to admit -
next Friday I am going out to dinner with the blogger moms.
I am so excited...

10 comments:

Linda said...

Good job at accomplishing your goal for the month! Family dinners are so important!

I hardly cook at all anymore since it's just my husband and I in the house now. It's almost cheaper and is less of a hassle eat out or to just make a light meal at home.

I love it though when our kids are home visiting because it means I do more cooking, which means more family time around the dinner table!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Hail the family meal! I think it's wonderful that you have tried to make it even better.

And all but two meals? Way to go.

Kristy said...

I am trying to cook every night but life happens sometimes and you have to eat out! Like Friday night comes along and you don't feel like cooking! :)

Beth said...

I'm trying to do the same this year and cook more for my boys! Your always such and inspiration to me. It really is key family time huh, and so worth the the effort (except sometimes when you are feeding picky eaters and don't have a 100% success rate in the kitchen).
Be sure and share all your yummy recipes on "blogger moms cook" for me to glean from, I love that site and use it all the time! HUGS, Hugs, Hugs!!

She Loves To Make said...

Mmmm...I wish I was at your house! Those dinners sound awesome!

She Loves To Make said...

Mmmm...I wish I was at your house! Those dinners sound awesome!

Kim Sue said...

what fun family time!

Since Kenny was without a job, 2 years ago now, we have done a MUCH better job. Of course, when he did find a job, it is not as much money as before and we decided that we didn't have to change anything except cutting out eating out on the nights that we just didn't feel like dealing with it. So, I have gotten MUCh better about making a good grocery list and shopping once a week to make sure we have plenty of options at the house even if it is just PB&J.

Gail said...

Good job on the dinner thing. I used to be so good at dinner every night, but it has fallen apart lately with ballet 5 days a week.

Karolynn said...

You are such a great cook! You have some very lucky kids!

michelle said...

Lucky family! Family dinners would be so much easier around here if only my two youngest kids would actually eat what I cook...