Sunday, December 21, 2008

emotional

It was a beautiful Christmas program at church today.
I usually sing in the choir every Christmas. But for the last two years I have sat out. I just know I can't. I'm much too emotional. Christmas brings out so many feelings in me that I find it almost painful & wishing it would be over. Knowing what Mary & Joseph did to bring the Christ child into the world is so humbling & powerful to me, it almost puts me over the edge. As soon as I sat down in the pew I looked up to see another family in the congregation whose grown children & grandchildren were visiting. Upon that sight I started to cry. The meeting hadn't even really started. I couldn't help but think of all the lonely people in the world. I was overwhelmed at the thought of loneliness this Christmas. I certainly don't feel lonely- but I have a very, very,very tiny glimpse of how painful it would be, especially at Christmas time. I didn't stop crying until half way through the service. I fought the urge to go home. My thoughts went back to 5-6 years ago. Brett & I were to dinner with all our shopping/Christmas lists in hand- ready to organize. I found myself anticipating this very day. The day when we would be losing our children to adulthood one by one. It's a glorious thing to be a mother, but if you're good at it- you work yourself right out of a job. I knew even back then- I wouldn't handle it well. Brett reminded me we had 6 rambuncious children at home... I was being ridiculous & should mourn their leaving when they actually left. (If you are thinking I am crazy right now- call me when your kids start leaving- then tell me if you still think I'm crazy?)

I decided I needed to pull myself together. For heaven's sake- I am so blessed. I am surrounded by blessings. Health, strength, four beautiful children at home- two resposible children grown that I am so proud of ... seriously. So I pulled an idea out of my blogger's head from Jill & started to take notes. Thank you Jill. This was remarkable. I heard the message, and now I even remember it.

*It is by giving not getting that we feel the true spirit of Christmas

*A testimony of Christ or of the gospel never stands still. It is either growing or diminishing.

*Christmas is a time of good will to all men~ friends, strangers, even enemies.

*It is a selfish act to not partake of Christ's healing atonement.

*All year, any time, Christ is available & accessible.

I am grateful for this Christmas season.
I am grateful I am home with family.
I am so grateful for my knowledge of Christ, for His birth, for His sacrifice, for His example.

6 comments:

Karrie said...

Good for you to take notes...I love that. I know it must be hard and I think I will feel the same way too...and in the not so far away future.

Live the moment and don't anticipate the future...it's all good.

Kristy said...

Great post! I had to fight the tears when the choir sang Silent Night today but I made it without having a complete breakdown for a change.

I am dreading the day when my kids start leaving home as well, I am not too far behind you. I guess it is part of life but not a fun part.

:)

Jill said...

I always feel full of tender feelings and tears when I'm at church, so I totally understand how you could look at the family and start crying.

I'm so happy you decided to take notes! I think it transforms any meeting into something worthwhile, and it's so great to be able to remember what you heard.

Natasha said...

This is a beautiful post and reminds us what Christmas is all about!

PaD said...

I know what you're feeling Patz. It's hard to be lonely. It's hard to think of your children all being gone. It happens to the best and worst of us. I'm grateful now for every moment our family shares with us. I miss my kids the most when they were little. Maybe that's just me. But the great thing is you start having all kinds of grandkids and then the great grandkids start rolling in. That is wonderful and the best part of life. So, you've got lots to look forward to. It is a wonderful time and makes the getting old worth it. Love ya.

Beth said...

Wonderful post.... just what I needed to hear!

Love ya!