Sunday, December 7, 2008

tradition

This Christmas I had my heart set on a new tree.
I bought our aging Christmas tree 14 years ago.
It was our first fake- I was seriously sad. We had moved to Denver & decent live Christmas trees were over $100- ouch. We were used to cutting our own- down the street- in our little town near Seattle- for about $30.
That was it, we couldn't justify the money & went fake.

Now I'm used to it... but ready for a new & improved fake. Seriously- those new ones are amazing- already lit with lights- up in minutes. I told the kids about my new tree plan & all heck broke loose. I had no idea they were so attached!?
Jack, "that's the only tree I've ever known. I love that tree." The others shared the same sentiments.
So here they are- the men in my life- putting up our tree.
I am beyond amazed that we still have the instructions.

Our other Christmas tree tradition-
playing army men in the tree before the ornaments go up.
Last year chloe & trent got out the polly pockets & did the same.
Jack is disgusted now that trent wants to play with Polly Pockets in "the tree?"
I told him - he has been slacking in his brotherly duty. So he got out all the old army dudes he could find & here they are.
Each one has a story.
They look just like they used to when jack & brian were little.
Gees Now I'm crying- again-
Darn that jack -
he just finished applying for college last week.
I will miss him- but he will be back for Christmas- next year...
and hopefully now & then to do laundry.
Last year we missed the missionary,
this year we will miss megan,
next year the missionary will be home,
the next Jack will be gone.
Who knows when megan & tony will come back?
I hate this kid growing up thing.
I need to learn to live in the moment & forget about the rest.
Note to self: just enjoy Christmas 2008- stop worrying about anything else.
darn kids- it's hard not to get attached to them.

10 comments:

Beth said...

Just think, when all those darn kids are gone, you can get the tree of your dreams! jk

Hang in there... holidays can be so cruel huh!

Love ya ~ BIG Hugs!!!

Karolynn said...

I love the Army men in the tree! I don't want Whitney to grow up it is really hitting me hard now a days. ((((HUGS)))

Tiffany said...

Oh no, now I hope my kids don't get attached to the cheap tree I bought! And for the growing up thing, maybe if I don't feed them........

Jill said...

That's so cute that the kids are so attached to this old, fake tree.

It's so funny that they play with their toys in the tree before it's decorated, I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

I can only imagine how heart-tenderizing having kids grow up and move out of the house must be, it's a good thing you've got 6 of them plus a new puppy!

wende said...

max and bronco will never leave you. i'm seeing the benefits now of having a dog! :)

i love jack's line "but this is the only tree i've ever known"...i laughed out loud at that! maybe you can surprise his new wife with it one day!

love love love the army men.

Liz said...

Wende's right, in the future you can give your kids all of their sweet memories. And don't worry, kids always come home ~ you are the greatest mom ever!!!

Janae said...

I love that Jack has taken on his brotherly duty and getting Trent off of the Polly's. Personally, I think the Polly's would be great fun in the tree, but seeing I have no army men around, I just don't know what i'm missing!
It's so hard to think of the kids growing up and leaving. I think you are right though and we just have to live in the moment, what will be will be.
and, a definite plus, giving them your old hand me down tree's when they go:)

Janae said...

ps. not that I don't like the tree. It looks like a very pretty tree...i just know you wanted a new one:)

Amie said...

We have a similar tree thing going on... except that I am not sure anyone would refuse to trade up... it is me... I don't want to settle I want the perfect one... which I happen to know I can't afford this year.... again.

Loved your last line... that will be a hard stage of life for me.

Kim Sue said...

love the army men in the tree that is great...do they tend to show back up after the decorations are up?