Monday, November 7, 2011

intimidation

(picture courtesy of betty crocker.com)

Today was a big intimidating day for me...
I taught a class at work. I've taught several classes, but this time it was much more intimidating. This time I was almost scared. I taught how to roast the perfect turkey.
Roasting a turkey for Thanksgiving is so personal- so important! I have made Thanksgiving dinner for our family at least 20 times-- (I've tried to count, but I'm not sure.) Everyone seems to have a secret for roasting a turkey- that's what I mean by personal. Thanksgiving is special (it's Brett's favorite holiday) it only comes once a year-- and like one of the attendees at my class said, "It only comes once a year, so if your turkey's not right you have to wait until next year to do it again!" So true. Sure you can make a turkey any ol' day of the year, but Thanksgiving - it's important!
Before the class started I found myself just pinging about... trying to be as best prepared as possible. WEll-- it's over.
It went great! I taught how to pick out & buya roaster & a turkey. How to clean, brine, truss, stuff, roast, glaze, and baste a turkey breast (I hate cooking turkey breast alone.) I made pan gravy & gravy from our store's gravy base so they could taste the difference. I made mashed potatoes, stuffing &served them all (small bites) with cranberry relish. It was so satisfying that everything turned out. AND.. YEs I was so very intimidated & nervous, but hurray it is over & I am breathing a bit easier.

Now-- I only have to think of something to make for dinner tonight?

For more information about getting ready for Thanksgiving go here-- or here!

6 comments:

She Loves The Color Pink said...

I have been thinking about your class all day! I'm so glad it went well, of course it did ;) I wish I could have been there for the samples!

Johnna said...

Congratulations! I am glad that all went well. So are you coming to my house for the next demo. :)

Jill said...

Wow, way to go Patsy! This is seriously impressive. Can you believe I have never made a turkey or even a turkey breast ever? Oh the shame...

michelle said...

You go, girl! That would be intimidating for most people, I'm sure!

20 turkeys is seriously impressive. I think I've made less than 10, because now my in-laws live here and they usually host Thanksgiving. I don't think I have made the same one twice, either. I'm curious about the recipe you use.

So what gravy did they prefer?? Someone recently told me that they never liked gravy until they discovered gravy mix and I was astounded.

Gail said...

I really want to attend one of your classes if it would not stress you out tot much to have someone you know there. Do you have a regular schedule? How do I find out?

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh wow. And to think you get to do it all over again in another two weeks. I'm with Brett. It's my favorite holiday, too.