Friday, September 16, 2011

fire on the mountain

Last night was quite dramatic! Unfortunately there was a fire on the mountain above our house. If you are a regular reader, I'm sure over the years you have seen photos of the mountain. Around 8:00 a fire started & took off like you know.... wild fire. We are so fortunate to live so close to such a beautiful mountain! It's the mountain we hike on a regular basis- so we were all rather sad & concerned (okay, okay- I don't hike it, but the rest of the family does.) Sad- until the fabulous fire department got moving! Wow- they were great!!! They got up there & took that fire down. Yes- it took a while, flames were still flying high (we could see flames with the naked eye from our street) after midnight. This morning it is all contained & it has even sprinkled a bit, with more rain on the way. Let me tell you sister- if we were not sure that Trent had anxiety before tonight- it is completely apparent now- holey hysteria! He really had a rough time bawling his eyes out, screaming at us, and obsessing about his baby pictures & toys, etc. It didn't help that the county government sent out a reverse 911 call & told our neighborhood to prepare to evacuate- not that I'm saying they shouldn't have, the whole neighborhood was just outside talking it over & Trent was of course taking it all in. I didn't realize Trent was freaking out so bad outside- I mean hey, his dad was with him? Most of the time I was in the family room laying on the couch watching the Style Network (have you seen this show? I watched it for the first time last night & I loved it) obviously, I wasn't worried one bit. Hell0-- there are 3 blocks of houses between us & the fire & there was no way our very competent fire fighters were going to let it get that out of control people!? There have been many fires over the years on the mountains around us & not one house has ever burned down or even. come. close! Anyways... Brett had to take him aside & yell over him to shock him into listening for a second- then I brought him in the house & sat him on the couch and talked it through. I rubbed his legs & Hailey brought him hot cocoa. We watched an episode of Arthur... this morning we had a lot of "lessons learned."

Thank goodness that is over & hopefully we will all be a little more prepared for the non emergency- emergency.

Life-- it's all good.

5 comments:

Johnna said...

I was just getting ready to call and see if all was well and decided to check the blog first. You are so good. Glad that you are all alright. I am sorry to hear that Trent had such a hard time. We love you guys!

:)

Karrie said...

HOLY CRAP....good thing he wasn't here it was nearly in our back yard!!!! and ya we were afraid if the wind shifted we might be in real trouble...Riley was a hysterical mess too!!!

So glad for the fire department

Kristy said...

I missed all the excitement last night!!! Kyle called me all excited that he called 911 to report the fire and got questioned if it was a prank or if he set it!! HOLY COW was I glad he was home!!

It was interesting to find out today that my Mom got our reverse 911 calls at her house in Bountiful about a possible evacuation and me as the home owner never got one.......kind of strange!!!

Poor Trent! I hope he is doing okay! :)

Jill said...

Goodness this sounds awful. Anxiety is so irrational that it's hard to deal with.

I was at Amie's house one time when the mountain behind her house was on fire...it was amazing and terrifying.

michelle said...

Scary! We've had a fire in the foothills near our house and it was definitely disconcerting even though we live about 3 blocks away.

Poor Trent. Poor you and Brett.

"If we were not sure that Trent had anxiety before tonight - it is completely apparent now..." cracked me up.