Monday, February 1, 2010

if it weren't for them darn kids....

I'm not a bad person- really.
It's not my fault.
Today a piano tuner came to the house to tune our two pianos. This piano was a huge investment for us. It was delivered on Megan's 12 birthday, so I'll never forget when we got it. We searched for a piano for a year- one we could afford to replace the $600 piece of junk we had. We had come to a cross road.
Megan's teacher told us she had to quit or we had to get a better piano... ours was ruining her ear. AFter all our searching we found this one on a sale & knew immediately it was the one- it was the right price (thousands less than what we had looked at) with all the beauty, sound, & class that would make our children want to play.
We dutifully had it tuned several times over the first year & several more the next 3--
we payed for someone to move it when we moved into this house & immediately had it tuned again. That was 9 years ago & that's when the tunings STOPPED.
BLame it on me... blame it on money... I don't know?
I just didn't get it done!
Brett's parents brought us a second piano- we inherited #2 from his grandmother. He's a little upright that lives in the office. He has served us well. It's much quiter when life is busy to practice in the office- plus two kids can practice at once. That does happen - really. But- we never had him tuned.
Well,
everything was fine until today...
Today the piano tuner came.
A nice round man with a VERY thick Italian accent. I was off at the elementary reading with kids. I should have know it was going to be a long day when Jack met me at the garage door to tell me- I was gonna Love this guy- he's hilarious! Uh Oh....?
He spent the next three and a half hours tuning away.
That is- inbetween coming into the kitchen to tell me that
" I musta getta thisa instrumenta tuned. every. year. mamm."
He brought me every. single. item. that did not belong... bobby pins, paper clips, rings, paper, ribbon.
With a hearfelt plee....
"PLEAse mam, donta letta the children putta the toys in the instrumente."
I told him to no avail- that it's not my fault.
I don't even wear bobby pins- it's the children.
I try to tell them.
They don't understand "the instrument."
I explained- I love the instrument, I do- it's the children. They practice a lot- but they are irresponsible. I try-- but whatta canna mama do..a?
"I can getta the instrumenta tuned every year ... and cleaned to."
"So mucha dusta in the instrumente can cause the asthma, the breathing problems, even the high blood pressure. Clean the instrument mamm- not for me.. but becausea the a moth & the mice coulda live in the instrumente if it is dirty. This ees a professionally instrumente!"
What the hell?
If mice start livin in the piano- I've got more problems than just the toys dude.
I've gotta sinus headache.
hailey just got home skipping a test she's not ready for-
jack has been asleep on the couch for most of the tuning fun-
I'm ballet driver & brett's out of town-
and it's early out day which means trent will be here any second.
Dang- it's only 1:00 and it's already been a long day.

10 comments:

Kristy said...

My piano needs to be tuned really really bad but I just can't force myself to spend the money to do it when no one here plays but me and that is very rare.

Sounds like an entertaining day!! I HATE early out....Emily was home until after lunch and Jake is now home so much for getting anything done!

Hope the rest of your day is better!

Linda said...

And all this happened on a Monday morning no less!

It's been years since we had our piano tuned...no one here to play it anymore so I haven't bothered. It does look pretty in the living room but actually it's just one more thing to dust. Poor thing hasn't seen any action in years!

Hope your evening gets better!

Jill said...

I've been at Michelle's house when her piano was being tuned and the guy (not a rotund Italian) was there all day!

How crazy that you have 2 pianos.

michelle said...

This is hilarious. Piano tuning takes a long time, even when you have it done regularly! And it is so painful to my ears, so very painful. But not as painful as having an out of tune piano, I guess. I can't believe you have two!

Janae said...

This makes for a very long day...but, a very funny blog post:) I agree... the darn kids throwing stuff in the piano really can cause problems. The tuner wants to blame the mom...but really, we know who's to blame;)
Thank goodness for no rats in there!!

John and Misty said...

Oh my goodness, you are so funny! Loved your post. (And I'm so jealous of your Yamaha grand-with or without the toys).

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

How funny. I laughed all my myself when I read, "If mice start livin in the piano- I've got more problems than just the toys dude."

Karrie said...

WTH animals living the the piano...That's why I don't have one I guess...JK

It really takes all day? NO wonder you haven't tuned it for a while...it takes forever!!

shannon said...

What a funny post!
The italian conversation recap had me in stitches...you crack me up...

Our piano tuner when I was growing up had six fingers on each hand---it was like...do re me fa so la ti do RE!

Hope your headache is better...

CB said...

This just cracked me up! What is it with piano tuners? They are an interesting breed.
Our piano tuner is this old guy who stays for hours, likes to wander my house, and tells stories all day (um excuse me I like you but I have a life!).
My older children play but they are all at college so I have no one home that plays the piano. He keeps calling and I keep telling him I am not spending money to have to have the piano tuned when no one is even playing it. He is very insistent...I have become very good at saying "No".
If mice start living in the piano it goes to D.I.!!

I think my piano tuner and you italian guy could be best buds - ha ha.