Saturday, February 13, 2010

it's like an indoor roller rink

Yesterday Trent & I went to the mall - while Chloe was at ballet.
We went to the mall because Trent's great aunt sent him a gift card to JC Penneys for Christmas. He hadn't used it yet & the kid is in serious need of new shoes. Not because he doesn't have a decent pair of shoes, oh no- his tennis shoes from fall are perfectly fine. He just refuses to wear them. Instead he insists every. single. day. on wearing these old, dingy, Velcro strap shoes that belong in the GARBAGE CAN.
All because he is too lazy to tie his shoes- well
okay, okay... he does have a little obsession with his shoes being tied exactly right. It's kind of a nightmare. We tie them over & over & tuck the laces in then make sure they are just right and... he hasn't had a pair with laces since kindergarten (at the request of his teacher) because of it. This year -I bought the regular shoes hoping he had grown out of it.
Even still - let me just go on record as saying - I am against huge velcro straps on shoes. I think they are hideous & look tacky. No- I did not buy these tacky shoes... no, no, no. Dad bought them when I had a lapse in judgement & sent him shoe shopping with the orphan look alike.
So we went to Penneys in hope of a pair of shoes- no velco- no laces. They make them, he's had several pairs & some of them are really good looking- but last night- none of them were under $50. Heaven's no- I'm not paying that much for kid's shoes.
In an act of desperation, we went to another store. At this store they had Heely's. You know those shoes with the wheels in them? Lucky for trent (who has wanted a pair for years) they were on super clearance.
because after stopping at chick fila- we took home a pair.

It's taken a bit- but he's picking it up.
He walked like Frankenstein all night last night, but today--- he's getting the hang of it.
So last night & all day today while the rest of us watch the Olympics like crazy zombies- he has been wheelin' around the house, nearly knocking us all over.
He's in heaven- and even though I'm not sure they are a good idea- guess what?
Heely's only come with laces.
So- he's been having to tie & wear laces all day. We made a deal in the store- if I bought the Heely's he can't obsess about the laces. If they are not- tied just right- or if the laces are a little long- he's gotta just-- you know? let it go.
So- I'm hoping it'll help.
I'm hoping even though I have two dogs & now a kid on wheels running around the house- that it will be worth it. That his "issue" with shoe laces will be cured. Baby steps.
It's worth a try- right?
I love this kid

3 comments:

Jill said...

This is a funny sentence, "I'm hoping even though I have two dogs & now a kid on wheels running around the house- that it will be worth it."

Good luck to you Patsy, this sounds like it could be comically disastrous!

Kristy said...

I hate Heely's!!! Lucky for me Jake out grew his because every time we went to the store he had to run and change into them so he could Heely around the store. Good luck with the Heely's!!

Holly said...

Very brave Mom of allowing Heelies to come into your house with the pets, etc. How are they handling it?

I hope Trent keeps up his end of the deal over the laces--I bet the cool factor of the heelies will keep him motivated.

Good luck! :)