Friday, July 5, 2013

4th of July journaling

Independence Day 
is big doings here at our house.
I LOVE IT
It started early when our friend Sam lighted off a big fire work show across the street on the night of the 2nd.
Megan was just about to go for a run, but we all came out to the porch to watch.
She even woke up Charlie... who just wanted to go back to bed.


(I am posting this picture even though it is fuzzy, I just love it)
It was a big & loud firework show & started off the festivities for us!


Megan's family headed down for the weekend to visit Tony's family the next morning 
& we got to work around here.
I had a brunch in the morning with my sweet friends the blogger moms. We don't really call ourselves that anymore, but I thought it would be good to mention that we do still meet up. Not every week- but yes we do get together on a regular basis. It is a great blessing in my life & because everyone is so busy this time of year, we had a little brunch. So much has happened in the last few months in this group. It's truly a gift to have friends to get through hard times & exciting times together.
 Let's face it- life is just easier with back up.


The temperatures around here have been unbelievably HOT.
Painful- Record heat. It's been over 100 degrees for over 7 days. 
So- we mixed it up this year & ate dinner inside then headed over to the concert in the park when it cooled down after 8:30. I cannot handle heat, seriously cannot handle heat. I get sick, physically sick- and crabby- and it's not nice.


We had all our traditional 4th of July foods-
Fried Chicken
Shrimp Pasta Salad
Watermelon
Sodas
but instead of Cupcakes
Apple Pie & Ice Cream 
(some of you will be shocked to learn that Jack doesn't like cake, at all. No cake- not even really good, all from scratch cake, with the best ever frosting, cake. Nope- he won't eat it. I am done trying to change his mind & just embracing it. Plus- who doesn't like pie on the 4th of July?!)


We headed to the park and
 were happy to have Jack's friend Emily with us 
(we kind of adore her...)



and Hailey and the babies-


and Trent's buddy Carston.


The concert was fun- we missed a huge portion of it- 
but it was worth it not to be in the heat.





The twins loved the fireworks!


The next morning we drug ourselves out of bed.
Oh - I always have the BIG plans for breakfast...
but then we just pick up donuts & milk. 
It's just so hard to get up in the morning on the 4th of July!
Between all of the heat, busy activity, etc.
A big breakfast- it never really happens.


We always have great seats thanks to our kind friends on main street.
We are a block away & our congregation at church includes this street. They always take good care of us.



Seth & Jack
Seth is holding his nephew- It's Seth's first 4th since coming home in November from his mission to Guatemala. Love that Seth- there are wedding rumors buzzing around him ... I need to start a quilt! 


Jack & Emily


Brittany!
Hooray Brittany is an official resident of our town & walked over just before the parade!


Air Force marching band- love them.



Home town heroes!
REALLY love them too-



After the parade we headed over to the carnival where Hailey was singing a couple of songs in the park.


She had a few fans in the crowd!





After all of our local traditions we headed south to visit Chloe.
Chloe hasn't really been home for several months.
Everything I do- everything that happens in my life- 
is laced with a sadness in my heart- that Chloe is not home.


We picked her up & went out to lunch, to the mall, and to a movie.
It is the first time she has been in public for 2 months.
This is the reason for my stop in blogging.
The overwhelming winter for her- brought out such deep despair I stopped blogging for a while.
But- we are ALL getting better. More on that to come another day.



Doesn't she look good!?
She is doing so well & there much hope & peace that she will be home soon.


At the mall-
Brett let Trent make a build a bear. 
He is such a wonderful & patient dad.


IT WAS AWESOME



                         

We headed home- stopped to buy fireworks- then Brett let Trent light them.
It was a really fun couple of days.



7 comments:

Brittany Gilson said...

I hate that I missed 4th of July in Centerville! Seriously depressed about it. I wish I could've been there to spend those two days with you guys. I'm glad you guys had such a great time!

Gail said...

This makes me so homesick! I think next year we will go home to Centerville for the 4th.

Laura said...

Chloe looks soooooo good!!! You are such a fun mother in law. Thanks for all you do.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love how you party on the 4th. You really do celebrate freedom in a grand fashion.

I'm so glad Chloe got to be with you as well. I've missed your posts and am glad you're back and hope Chloe is doing well, too.

Jill said...

Chloe looks beautiful! I'm so glad you could all be together for awhile!

Is it so fun with twins...more babies to hold!

PaD said...

Loved your post. Everyone looks well and happy. Happy birthday today. Love Mom

michelle said...

I cannot handle the heat, either. What would I do if I lived in a time or place with no relief from the heat! I think I am blessed that this is not the case.

I can't understand it when people don't like good cake. Bakery cake, yes, but from scratch cake? No way.