Friday, March 23, 2012

great day for a rocket launch

 The weather here has been spectacular!
Perfect for 6th grade rocket day. Trent has been looking forward to this for a long time- I have been looking forward to the opening of City Creek & planning on heading there straight after work (I work most Thursdays.) But alas, both days coincided. Again - it was a perfect day for a rocket launch!

Look at this kid-- so happy!
Ya- he has green teeth.
Trent's teacher let the kids paint their rockets or decorate them & trent chose to "paint" his rocket with dry erase marker--- that got all over him & in his mouth when he held it in there for a sec. 
(even though I scrubbed him thoroughly when he got home from school, his face was covered in green by the end of the night- not too worry a good before bed shower took it off almost completely.)

 I can't help but notice how nice the kids are to Trent at school. Every kid in the school knows him by name & he know most of them. He didn't want to put the fuzzy stuff (can't remember what that's called) in his rocket. He asked me to do it & said out loud- I don't want to touch it- one of the boys just jumped in & said here Trent I'll do it for you. Trent is not comfortable with new textures.

 I am amazed with the ability of children to - for the most part- to be accepting of others & their differences. I truly don't think most of his peers even notice his tics anymore.



 Wednesday night was Jr. High orientation. The new kids & parents were sitting on bleachers listening to the principal & watching a slide show on all the many class choices etc. Trent was so excited/nervous he was ticking constantly. Jerking, whistling, grunting- jerking whistling, grunting- repeat over & over not in any particular order.
I whispered loudly "it's okay... I know you are nervous," repeat. Hoping everyone around us would hear me & be sensitive. About 20 minutes into the presentation the woman in front of us turned around angrily & said- ENOUGH ALREADY, YOU NEED TO STOP IT. I looked her straight in the eye & said- HE HAS TOURETTES. She glared at me & shook her head left to right.
 Trent buried his face in his hands, then in my shoulder.
I was stunned - I started to cry. 
It has been a hard couple of weeks here with other family issues & I think that was my tipping point.
My sweet neighbor was sitting above Trent & moved down one bench next to us with her daughter. I made eye contact with her & then started crying more- and more- and I couldn't stop the tears. Trent of course was worried I was mad at him. I just said without whispering- it's okay- You can tic if you need to- she doesn't understand- I'm not mad at you.
After the presentation she just took off walking. No apology- nothing. The gentleman sitting on the other side of us came up to me & patted me on the back. That was so kind & I needed that. We had to go.


 Oh YES
today was the perfect day for a rocket launch.

 I think most people probably don't know what tourettes syndrome is? 
But- I also think if you pay attention you can usually tell when a kid is different? I know I need to get thicker skin. These next few years are going to be hard for Trent & hard for me to watch. I don't know why we have this trial in our life. But- I know that I am learning. It just seems so unfair. We will be educating others as we move on to Jr. High with this sweet kid- I guess I didn't think we would have to educate the parents. But this is how it is.
"Life is perfect for none of us. Rather than being judgmental and critical of each other, may we have the pure love of Christ for our fellow travelers in this journey through life."--Thomas S. Monson 

5 comments:

She Loves The Color Pink said...

This was a great post and I LOVE that last picture of you and Trent.
I wish I could have been there with you at the orientation. In honor of Jack's homecoming, I would have "baptismal kicked" that lady off her bench :)

Gail said...

you are a GREAT MOM!!!

Judy said...

You're a wonderful mother!!! Having a child with a disability I truly understand. Mine is only in 1st grade and I am truly scared of the future. sometimes you just want to scream it to the world... There is nothing he can do. I am doing my best. If you only knew what my child is going through, been through and will go through you would count your lucky stars and SHUT UP! (ok had to vent)" But in reality I am the lucky one - I was chosen to be his MOTHER not them. I get to raise this beautiful soul. I was HONORED with the privilege to raise this child to return back to his Father in Heaven. ME! I find comfort in reading your blog. You give me hope. Thanks and hang in there!!!!

michelle said...

I can't believe I never commented on this! I thought I did. I stewed over it. I told Jill about it. Man, I was mad about that woman. And so sad to think of you crying there on the bleachers.

I'm glad you had your rocket launch. I'm glad you have Jack coming home, and that you had Megan and Tony and the grandbabies visiting. I hope you know how much I admire you and think that you are a fabulous mother!!

Amie said...

I have been thinking about this for days. You are an amazing example. I can't help but think that this is one of your positive moments in life, you handled it with grace and dignity and it will probably be etched in that woman's mind forever of one of her most humiliating moments (that she didn't apologize for).

You give me a lot of perspective. Several times since I have read this I have noticed times in public when I feel frustrated with something and then it comes to my mind to be patient and loving and see the bigger picture.

Happy Missionary reunion day!