Wednesday, November 24, 2010

working girl

I got a job.
Yep- I did!
Can you believe that?
Remember last month when my girls & I went here to get our book signed?
Well.... while I was waiting in line I spent some time talking to various employees - then the District Manager (I had no idea she was the "district manager" I just thought she was an employee.) I told her how I love the store & have always wanted to work there... but the time had never been right- yada yada. She told me that they only hire people seasonally. Everyone who works in their stores- starts during the holiday season. She also said in this store (the Salt Lake City store) they were still going to hire 4-5 more people. We talked on & on about different stores around the country- the store in Megan's town, in NY, & my favorite the San Fransisco store. I introduced her to my girls... we got to be kind of chummy - then- she introduced me to the assistant manager- who gave me an application & asked me if I could come back THAT NIGHT for a group interview. It was their last set of interviews.
I was in shock.
I haven't been on a job interview for 25 years.
did you read that... 25 years?!
I went home- super nervous & filled it out.
Brett helped me & I added a page of "experience" that I put with the application. All of my "experience" was volunteer work, except for the little bit of work I have done in the past at my neighbor's catering business.
I listed all of my P.T.A. work etc. I know it really helped.
IT was a full page, I could have written more. It felt good.

So- ya- I got the job.

It is just seasonal but I have loved it. It's so much fun to "talk" cooking all day & frankly I feel like a kid in a candy store! I work days from 10-2:00, 3-4 days a week. The extra money will really help- if I can help from spending it all! I get a fantastic discount- especially if I wait for things to go on sale!! wowza!
I can't even tell you how many times I have explained how to Brine a Turkey - or what's so great about the Le Creuset cookware. Not to mention how fun it is to walk around looking at gourmet cooking & food products all the time! Being in the back where everything is store is absolutely heavenly...

Today I even helped pick out a gift for someone who wanted to know-

what to get someone who wants to bake cupcakes!!!

How great is that?!

Now I'm home getting ready for the big Thanksgiving Day.
I just put two pumpkin pies in the oven.
Boy, are my feet tired.
Even though my painted floor is all scraped up & dirty...
doesn't my new kitchen towel look pretty?
I'll clean the floor in the morning.

8 comments:

Janae said...

Oh I have missed reading blogs! I am so excited about your new job:) I love that place too. These pictures are wonderful...love the name tag.
Chloe did such an amazing job at the Nutcracker! It was so exciting to see her! I am sorry about the picture issue. I have done that before also. I have the picture in my head for always seeing the amount of control in her solo she had. She sat so perfectly on that guys shoulders. Way to go Chloe! and Patsy congrats on the job. I am glad you are having fun:)

Beth said...

That is a perfect place for you to work! Not a coincidence, and no surprise they wanted you to come in for an interview just from meeting you:) So perfect!

I love that place too!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Jill said...

That is just awesome to be working at a place you love so much! Congratulations!

It's pretty cool that you were able to have over a sheet of experience just based on all your years of volunteering!

Karrie said...

I am so proud of you finding a job even when you weren't looking for one...I this economy that says something!!! You will be great!!

I can see you going far with them...with all you cooking knowledge, etc.

Karolynn said...

Congrats on your new job! Let me know if you need any help at all. I can pick up kids or anything. Put my number in your cell, I am serious!

Karolynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristy said...

I think you found the perfect job for you, it so fits you!!! I will have to come visit you one day and see you in action. :)

michelle said...

Well, this does seem like the perfect job for you!! I would have such a hard time not spending my paycheck in the store...

Your painted floor is my dream floor. Painted checkerboards are my favorite thing ever.