Monday, July 21, 2014

a birthday post-

Last week was my 47th birthday!
I hate to be all downer about it....
but I am kind of a big fat baby when it comes to my birthday.
I anticipate it for at least a week, usually longer.
 I get all weepy & start feeling sorry for myself. 
Next- I wonder why I am alive in the first place & if anyone loves me or ever has?
I imagine the worst possible thing happening... nobody remembering me.
 I contemplate it for days & wonder if I should go away on a trip so I won't be so disappointed and
 regret all of my life choices thus far.... 
I really do all of this.
every. year.
I feel so bad for my sweet husband.
 He has to live through this year- after year- after year.
It's ridiculous- I'm not proud- It's ugly- I'm starting therapy next month
(just keepin' it real.)
Maybe by now you have guessed that I have had a few rough birthdays?

WELL NOt This YEAR BabY!


Balloons on my mailbox- who did that?
 I want to kiss your face.
 I cried.
My mom called me first thing in the morning & let me pick out two books on Amazon that she sent out that day. I love them- they are here. Thanks mom. I love that you did that.


Karen & I went to lunch- I picked this place & it was wonderful & I love Karen.
 Thank you so much!


I came home to a present in the mail!
 Jill- you amaze me with your thoughtfulness & creativity!
Thank you!


Lisa left this on my doorstep & she didn't even have to do that?!
The "blogger moms" are having a real birthday party for me this week-
 lots of them were out of town last week.


Then- I was so lucky to get to meet up with ALL OF THESE CUTIES for a dinner I didn't even make!
I LOVED MY BIRTHDAY THIS YEAR



Pre-dinner show of cuteness brought to you by:
Joey & Finn above- Charlie & Crew below


Peter was just plain cute. period.


We ate at probably my favorite place to eat downtown.
Did I mention it was such a great day?


 I even had help blowing out the candle on my dessert!


After dinner the kids & Brett were so great to give me all of these thoughtful gifts.
Tears, more tears-- such very thoughtful gifts- really.





The kids made a list of 47 things they love about mom...


 I read it out loud. 


Brett made me a list of the: Top Ten Reasons He is Glad He Married me
The kids read them out loud.




And I needed it.
I really did.
It's been a hard year of doubt, worry, weight gain, wondering if it is all my fault, asking myself over & over & over if I was good enough? If any of my life was good enough? 
I don't write this for you to feel sad for me or even to prove that I'm a brat
 - because really my life is awesome-
 or for people to leave comments.
I just want anyone out there who is reading (especially my future self & children) that
 sometimes life is just hard like that.
 And- sometimes it stays hard for a good long while,
 so you press on, and on, then wonder if it's worth it? 


And the answer is:
YES
It is worth it
I am worth it and so are YOU.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY!! You're worth everything you got! I love you!! You're awesome!

Jill said...

I can't even tell you how happy I am that this birthday turned out to be a great one for you!! I totally understand the birthday-induced panic and fear of not being remembered. It makes those gestures from the people who do remember so meaningful!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Patsy! I thought of you a couple of times.

I'm so very glad people helped you to remember just how much better you've made the world by being born in it.

Much love to you.

Your birthday buddy.

Anonymous said...

this was the best post ever. it makes me so happy that you are happy. :)

-Chloe