Friday, September 17, 2010

a really hard week....

it's been a really hard week here.
Last week- my sweetheart brett....
was unexpectedly

laid off from his job.
He was really good at his job, even though he didn't always love it.
Like- really good people!
often top in his department ...
even top in sales this past summer.
but still-
the axe
it.

fell.
hard.
and it hurts
a lot.
I think I took it harder than he did?
he strapped on his work attitude & has been working non stop at finding a new job.
He has several (3-4) promising leads already.
His resume was polished & published within two days.
What did I do...?
cried a lot.
then cried some more.
then got angry- really, really mad angry.
then humbled myself into an attitude of gratitude-
and now I am just numb. (well, and still grateful)
I ran into one of the members of my church congregation yesterday at Walmart.
Yes I shop at walmart- (revenue for my son in law, who just got a promotion- love him!)
He- asked me if we had figured out what lesson we are supposed to learn from this?
I then knew I hadn't learned a lesson because-- I flipped him the bird.
NO I DIDN'T... but I thought about it, just a little.
I've only flipped the bird once....
I was in H.S. with a carload of my cheer leading pals when the boys football bus passed us & mooned us all.
I still feel bad about it- I knew better.
We are going to be okay- really we are.
We are so blessed- SO SO SO BLESSED.
I mean- wow- what more in the world could you ask for?
Hailey hasn't had one- NOT ONE- seizure since school started.
We are healthy!
Chloe is doing amazing & is an Arabian dancer again in the nutcracker!
Trent is coming along well with 5th grade... school is difficult for him so this is BIG!
Brian is wonderful- teaching the gospel to missionaries...
Megan & Tony- are the best example of a strong young family that I know.
and Jack...
I am so happy to have a missionary!

Tonight as I scroll through summer posts...
I am so thrilled to have this blog!
The good times are so good.
The bad times are just temporary & this too shall pass.
It's going to be okay.
We have everything that really matters-
and for that matter-
we have enough money for a bit...

12 comments:

She Loves To Make said...

This is a really, really great post. And really, who asks someone what lesson they've learned when they're one week into something like this? Really?! Love you guys. You are in our prayers.

Jill said...

Oh Patsy, I am so sorry! I have been through this multiple times (too many really) during my 16.9 years of marriage and must say it never gets any easier. At least he is feeling upbeat and is working hard to find something else, it's frightening when the man gets discouraged!

I'm glad you have so many great things in your life and that you see those too. Even with all that, it's hard not to feel panicked. Did he get severance?

michelle said...

Oh, Patsy. What a trial.

I'm so sorry you guys are going through this. I hope something works out soon. But mostly I am so impressed that you have such a great perspective and can see the bigger picture when you're in the thick of it.

The Taylors said...

Patsy, love ya! Brett is one of the most amazing people I know. He is such a good example of what a father should be. I know he will have a job in no time !

Holly said...

I'm so sorry for this to happen--anytime is hard I'm sure, but to have it be a complete surprise is a gut punch for sure. I hope his leads pan out very soon!

I'm glad you are working through all of your rollercoaster emotions and seeing the blessings and possibilities.

wende said...

you are awesome, and so is your family. i love you all. i know everything is going to be ok.

and yay for hailey!! i am so impressed with that girl, i just love her.

and chloe!! arabian soloist!! i adore her and we will be extra excited to attend the nutcracker this year to see her work her magic! :)

wende said...

i also meant to say, that i think brett is amazing. and the nicest man i know, those aren't just words. he really is. he is a fantastic father and husband and his work ethic is just so admirable. i know this whole experience is an opportunity to find something that he loves to do. and he will.

Amie said...

I'm so sorry! I hate to hear of people struggling (but am so glad when they share, it feels like a gift to be trusted with the real deal and be able to send support and love and learn from their/your great example). I hope you will be strengthened and comforted.

Your friend, Wende's comments made me cry. I feel like I know those things just from your pictures and style of communicating on here... you guys seem to really have a grasp on the important things and each other.

Karolynn said...

you and your family are just amazing! I am so sorry this has happened. Big hugs to you all!
ps
I shop at walmart too!

Unknown said...

thinking of you!!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh my. Never good news. But can I say I love how you wrote it out? Can I say I love that you see the good things in your life despite? Can I say that I'm glad you have a husband that takes his responsibilities seriously and is doing his best to take care of his family? Oh my. Thoughts are definitely with you.

Kristy said...

You are in our prayers, hang in there!

Love ya lots! :)