Wednesday, September 1, 2010

one of the best gifts I've ever been given

About 21 years ago I was given a gift.Brett's sweet Aunt Barbara gave me her sewing machine.
I'm sure when she bought it - it was the top of the line.
Most of her life she made her own clothes.
This machine had seen a lot of use, but had been treated royally.

She gave it to me & I started learning. I had taken a sewing class in H.S. - that was great, but I had a long way to go. One week in R.S. Homemaking meeting there was a sewing class. I brought my "new machine" and a baby megan along. A really nice girl- I can't even remember her name- helped me with a project & taught me the basics on how to use this gift.

Last winter- she broke. The machine was really touchy when it came to the bobbin. Hailey was using it & pushed it a little too far. No problem - no sweat- because when Brett's Grandmother passed away, she left me this:

The exact same machine.

It was waiting in the basement. Who knows how long it had been since it had been used? Years & years- probably decades. DEfInateLy decades. Brett's Grandmother was over 90 when she passed. I oiled her up & started off again.

Unfortunately... over a week ago- it was over. sigh.

She can spin a bobbin- but not a good one! After a good week of trying & a phone call to the sewing repair shop... it's over. Really over.

Lucky for me-
4-5 years ago I bought this little singer on clearance for $40 at Target.
It was up in Chloe's closet. She had big plans for it.
It's Not the top of the line...
It's NOT my dream machine.
But it works-
and will have to do for now.
Even though I have thanked her many, many times for the gift - again I thank you Aunt Barbara for the sewing machine. It has brought so much joy to my life- learning to sew.

1 comment:

She Loves To Make said...

You are a great sewer so that really was a great gift. It taught you a skill you could use your whole life!